New Beginnings

During a recent webpage update at WKU, all of my past blogs have disappeared. All in all, that might be a good thing since a lot has changed. Due to recent efforts to reorganize departments and programs at the university, University College and the Department of Diversity & Community Studies (my “homes”) were cut in order to downsize. Our programs were all designated as “transform,” which means we were not eliminated but rather given the opportunity to explore collaborations in other departments. As of now, the major (diversity & community studies), the masters program (social responsibility & sustainable communities), and the minor in citizenship & social justice will be housed in the Department of Sociology & Criminology. African American studies is now a part of the history department and gender & women’s studies was moved to the English department.

In terms of location, the Gender & Women’s Studies house (a.k.a. the DCS house) is no longer the physical home to any of our faculty. We enjoyed having that space for the last 24 years – I will treasure those memories always. My new home is in Grise Hall, room 119. It’s actually where I started my teaching career. I was a graduate teaching assistant in sociology waaayyyy back in the day, before I started teaching as an adjunct in public health and university experience! It’s a little nostalgic to be back where I fell in love with teaching. If you need to find any of the other faculty, you can use WKU’s online directory to locate them.

For right now, I will still be teaching the core courses in DCS and the MA SRSC program. I assume we will spend the next year exploring ways to transform our programs without losing their integrity. I can only speak for myself and the sociology & criminology department, but we are committed to holding on to everything we possibly can and creating programs that serve the diverse needs of the students at WKU. I will keep you posted as we work through all of this.

To a rocky but exciting ride!!!

Dr. Molly Kerby

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.